I am beyond thrilled for the new Baz Luhrmann film, The Great Gatsby, to be released in theatres on May 10th. If you have not seen a trailer yet, please check out the video below and get ready for sensory overload. i can keep watching these trailers over and over again.
The film will be in 3D and stars Leonardo DiCaprio, Tobey Maguire, Carey Mulligan and Isla Fisher. Here are the multiple reasons why I am so super anxious to see this film:
1) Baz Luhrmann is the Director – Baz is known for his great Red Curtain Trilogy, which included Strictly Ballroom, Romeo + Juliet, and Moulin Rouge. Let me tell ya, I loved all of these films, especially the bright splashes of color, use of shadows/light and random quick moments of silliness.
2) The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald is a quick-read in which many of us have forgotten since reading it in high school. I recently re-read the book and I quite enjoyed it. Make sure you give it another go before seeing the film!
3) The costumes – Catherine Martin collaborated with Miuccia Prada to create the costumes for this film, which focuses on high fashion of the 1920s. Lots of crystals, flowing chiffon, rhinestones, tassles and those fabulously sharp bob hairdos.
4) Leonardo DiCaprio. I haven’t found a project with Leonardo DiCaprio that I haven’t liked yet (including Growing Pains).
5) And of course, to coincide with the MMJotW, the music! The soundtrack to this film is so good, which was overseen by Jay-Z! The film is definitely a delight for your eyes and ears! The soundtrack features Lana del Rey, Andre 3000, Florence + the Machine, Jay-Z, Frank Ocean, Beyonce, Kanye West, Emeli Sande, The Bryan Ferry Orchestra, The XX, Gotye, Nero, Sia and much more. A couple of my faves are Florence + The Machine’s “Over the Love” and the Filter remix of “Happy Together.”
Check out clips of the rest of the songs on the soundtrack here.
Hope you enjoy and let me know if you’re excited for May 10th too!